Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bernard, Tom, and Other Forgotten Characters


I think I've explained this before but I stopped listening to Odyssey for about two years. Wait...*counts in my head* Actually, it'd be more like 3. Why I stopped listening isn't the point of this post. What's important is that I stopped listening during the hiatus. When I came back to the Odyssey world, I found that there was a bunch of new characters. This was a bit off putting to someone coming back to the fandom but I endured though all the changes and even began to like some new characters. It took me a while to realize that they had cut out some of the old characters. 

It's not the first time AIO has ditched characters. The Barclay's were exiled to Pokenberry Falls, Lucy and Sam Johnson were left behind after the hiatus in '97, Nick Mulligan vanished, the writers left fan favorite Richard Maxwell in a hospital bed, Alex Jefferson (one of my favorite Novacom kid characters) randomly disappeared, and I know there are several more examples. 

Before the hiatus, Walker Edmiston passed away and Tom had to be left behind. *cries* Then, the hiatus hit and the writers did a reboot kind of thing and dropped a number of characters. Let's try and list all of them. (If I miss any, tell me in the comments) 

*The Washingtons and Kelly
*Grady and his family
*Jack and Joanne
*Bernard  
*Mandy
*Trent
*The Rathbones

Now, I'm not saying that I'm mad at the writers for cutting out a lot of characters. I'm sure there were good reasons. Mandy had been around since '98, Trent and Marvin's voices were both changing, the Rathbones have been around since the classic days and Walker Edmiston's death was probably the reason they were pulled, the actors for Jack and Joanne are in their late 80s and early 90s, the list goes on. 

I don't like change

Most of the character disappearances are justified and the writer's method for these disappearances is pretty good. The characters are simply phased out. It's life. Actors and characters grow up. It's a common thing as we can see if we look at the history of Odyssey. Although, in my opinion, phasing out doesn't work with EVERY character. When you have characters like Tom and Bernard, characters who are ridiculously important to the show, you have to give them a decent goodbye. Tom has been around since episode 1 and Bernard has been around since 1990. They're core characters. I don't need to give you people examples of how important Tom and Bernard are to the show. It's obvious. What I have trouble wrapping my mind around is why they were phased out. 

Please explain this to me. Explain it.


I don't know the reason for why Bernard was dropped. I know Dave Madden is semi-retired/retired in Florida so maybe he decided that it was too much work to keep doing the show.Or maybe the writers just decided to write him out. REGARDLESS, there should have been some kind of closure. For example, Bernard walks into Whit's End and tells the crew that he and Maude are packing up and retiring to Arizona or some other warm place. See? Closure. 

Handling Tom's departure would have been more difficult. You can't just say that he's moving to Arizona too and is gonna be neighbors with Bernard and Maude. I think that the best sendoff for Tom would have been a funeral. It would have been a heartbreaking and emotional episode but I think it would have been the way to go. Of course, that kind of episode would have been difficult for Stojka being that he was a newcomer and all. (Some could argue that only Hal Smith could do an episode like that) 

Now, it's too late to give Tom and Bernard a proper goodbye. On one hand, phasing them out was good because it didn't cause any drama. On the other hand, I think the characters deserved more. 




8 comments:

  1. Your posts get better and better, Victoria. Also, I saw you joined Campbell County. I can't wait to see what you have to say. What do you think of it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    And I'm liking Campbell County. It helped me discover Abby and Mandy's podcasts. (I had heard about them before but didn't check them out till they listed on CC all the people they've interviewed. Campbell County is proving to be a great site already!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terffic post, Victoria! I agree with you all the way, a funereal would have been a good closure for Tom. But, oh well. Odyssey did a reboot, so things like this were bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my little blog, Alex! By the way, you are one of my favorite kid characters in Odyssey history. ^.^

      Regardless of my complaining in my various posts, I think that the Odyssey team is doing a good job.

      Delete
  4. Okay, now, when will your next post be out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. I'm having trouble thinking of stuff to write about. I got one idea and if I get the ball rolling tonight, it'll probably be up Wednesday. (Unless I scrap the idea) I wanna post something before the week is up. This is my last week before school starts. (Ugh.) I'll post less frequently during the school year. If you guys have any suggestions on what to write about, feel free to tell me! (You can tell me in the comments or PM me on the Soda Shop, CC or ToO)

      Delete
  5. Love the Pearls Before Swine pic. After the first hiatus, all the kids got cut, so Mandy, Grady, Trent, and the Washingtons leaving is understandable. Joanne will come back in Home Again (looking forward to what may be the best post-hiatus episode) and Walker has passed (meaning goodbye Tom and Rathbones). I personally don't think they should recast Tom; I think he should pass on the show as well, and the Rathbones can hang in Odyssey but not reappear.

    That leaves Bernard. Since he lives in Florida and is getting up there in age, it's harder for him to record in Burbank, Cali. But he's my favorite character...SO HE HAS TO COME BACK!
    However, I must admit that Mitzi McCall is doing a great job as Mrs. Kramer, bringing some snarky, sarcastic, deadpan humor back to Odyssey. Love it.

    I'm also loving your blog! Your posts are fun to read and it's nice hearing Odyssey stuff from another teenager's perspective. Loving the pop culture references and great memes/JPGs. Keep it up! And thanks much for posting links so I won't be able to read your Album 56 reviews (must resist...temptation...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys for everything! You are all amazing! I'll try to post some stuff before Tuesday (when school starts) and then I'll be posting less frequently. Sorry guys. Blame the government for making me learn stuff.

    ReplyDelete