Monday, March 12, 2012

Rethinking My Criticism of The New Characters


I have been listening to some of the episodes from album 54 and the new characters are growing on me. Character wise, I'm really liking album 54. The characters seem more well written and developed than they were in album 51 and 52. I suppose that those were like the transitional episodes. It only makes sense that they'd be a bit awkward. There is now more of a comfortable feel in album 54. 

To start off, I first listened "To Sink a Sub" because it had Katrina in it. Here's what basically happens: Katrina becomes a substitute Literature teacher and her students include Olivia Parker, Jay Smouse, and Valerie whats-her-face. Jay and Valerie are mad because they've heard that Katrina is a tough teacher. Olivia doesn't buy it but her feelings change when Katrina gives her a bad grade. Olivia hesitantly starts agreeing with Jay and Valerie's opinions. Jay and Valerie, in typical sitcom fashion, start pranking Katrina. 

Olivia doesn't assist with the pranks but she doesn't try to stop them either. Katrina then turns in her resignation after she finds out about a petition to get her fired. Eventually, the whole class comes around and apologizes. She accepts their apologies and she becomes their teacher again. 

This episode redeemed Olivia in my eyes. She reacted to Katrina's criticism like a natural human being but then swallowed her pride and apologized. 

The next episode I listened to was "Emily, the Genius." I was not too excited about it. I thought that it would be all about Emily strutting around declaring she's a genius  because of some test. She'd take a few shots at Matthew and then Whit, in the last five minutes of the show, would explain to her what humility is. That's what I was expecting. The real episode was about Emily getting some test results back and it said that she was practically a genius. This means that she can qualify to take the advanced placement tests. Her parents are obviously proud and even embaress Emily a bit. We then find out that she got the wrong results. Emily, seeking her parents approval, decides that she's going to take the test anyway and begins to furiously study. Her dad eventually sees what she's doing and assures that he loves her no matter what. Emily still takes the test. Her teacher is so impressed with her perserverence that she asks Emily if she will tutor other students on how to study for the test. Emily declines. She claims that her perserverence came from her love for her parents. 



Missed the mark here, Focus.


To me, Emily Jones has been the most annoying new character. This episode made me change my mind about her. She was embaressed by all the attention she was getting for being a "genius" and then when she was told that she wasn't, she brushed it off and took the advanced placement test anyway. I really admire that in a person. My problem with the episode is that she claimed she did it for her parents. This didn't really sit well with me. If I would do something like that, it would be because I didn't want all that studying and lack of sleep to go to waste. I wouldn't really be doing it to honor my parents. I honor my parents by, you know, obeying them and respecting them. This episode was based off 1 Corinthians 13:7, mainly the "endure" part.

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

I know this is a kids show but I wish that AIO had gone a bit deeper. Honestly, they could have gone deeper on most of the episodes. The love Paul is talking about in chapter 13 is agape. It's a selfless, unconditional, self sacrificing kind of love. This is the love of Christ and people, regardless of age, need to be reminded of this message. 

Getting back to my original point, I'm impressed with the character development. I'm taking back most of my criticism of the new characters. I think there is hope for Odyssey 2.0 but only if they keep their eyes on Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment